Tuesday, May 1, 2012

SAWCLicious Recipe: Chicken Lettuce Wrap

Lettuce wrap is one of my favorite Chinese dishes. The wrap can be minced duck meat, ground pork, or ground chicken. This would normally be the 2nd course for a peking duck menu commonly served at the Chinese restaurants in Manila. I am always amazed with the perfect round circles and enjoy wrapping my own lettuce wrap. At home, my mom would normally cook this version with ground pork. I often see a number of varieties of this dish but always having the lettuce and the hoisin sauce to top it off. Last Sunday, I made my version from ground chicken and I enjoyed this!

Chicken Lettuce Wrap



Ingredients
  • 500 grams of ground chicken
  • 1 carrot minced
  • 6 pcs. water chestnuts minced
  • 8 pcs. fresh bottom mushrooms minced (can be replaced with dried Chinese Mushrooms)
  • 2 pcs. big shallots minced
  • 2 cloves of garlic minced
  • 3 tbsp. oyster sauce
  • 1 tsp. white sugar
  • t tbsp. Chinese Rice Wine
  • Pepper
  • 2 tbsp. corn oil
  • Lettuce
  • Hoisin Sauce
  • Optional: Green Peas and Chives
Procedure
  1. Slice the bottom part of the lettuce and remove each lettuce leaf carefully. Rinse the lettuce leaves and pat dry.
  2. Heat a wok and add corn oil. Cook the garlic and shallots. Stir for a minute and add the ground chicken and 1 tbsp. of oyster sauce. Wait until the ground chicken is cooked and add the minced carrot, chestnuts, mushrooms, green peas, and chives. Season with oyster sauce, sugar, rice wine, and pepper.
  3. To serve, add some meat mixture into the lettuce leaf and top with hoisin sauce. 
  4. Wrap like a burrito to eat and enjoy the dish!

3 comments:

  1. I've made this too...but with minced beef. :) I can't find minced chicken here :) IT's so healthy and refreshing right? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried with minced beef. At home, we use minced pork. I also like using duck. It's healthy, refreshing and so easy to cook! the last part is the important one! haha

      Delete
  2. Sounds delicious! Beautiful picture....

    ReplyDelete